Monday, October 3, 2011

Can You Eat Yogurt?

Last year I wrote a few posts about how eating yogurt everyday has helped keep my diarrhea output under control. Ever since then I have been getting angry emails from people who tell me yogurt is on some Crohn’s Disease ‘do not eat list’ (apparently along with every other ‘dairy’ product) and that I’m jeopardizing my health and the health of others by eating it and telling others that it helps me. So now I have to ask, does anyone else eat yogurt regularly as a part of their Crohn’s Disease diet or do you stay away from it? For me I eat it everyday, not because I necessarily like it, but because I like that it replaces the good bacteria that is essential to the proper function of the small intestine, which in turn seems to keep the amount of diarrhea I suffer at a pretty low level (Crohn’s Disease often kills this good bacteria). The fact that I’m able to go on long road trips, out to movies, out to dinner, camping almost every other weekend, and work 14 hour days on movie sets without much fear to me is proof that the yogurt is working. Sure I do suffer diarrhea from time to time, my Bill Pooped Here blog posts show this, but I seem to suffer it a lot less than others with Crohn’s Disease. I also seem to be able to eat foods that most people with Crohn’s Disease stay away from, foods that will cause me diarrhea if I don’t eat the yogurt regularly (I know, because for a year right after my diagnosis I wasn’t eating yogurt and suffered diarrhea everyday). Nothing I say within my reply to these angry emails seems to get this point across and instead causes more angry replies from the people sending them. I don’t know why. Some even while tell me that they can’t wait for the day when I suddenly find myself in the hospital because I have ruined my life by eating something like yogurt. So again, I have to ask, does anyone eat yogurt or am I the only one. If you do eat yogurt is there a certain kind you eat that helps? I only eat the Yoplait Original French Vanilla yogurt, mostly because I’m not a fan of eating anything with bits of fruit in it. I also have never really experimented with various yogurts to see if any have a negative effect on me (the only exception being the yogurt smoothies I used to buy that seemed to cause a lot of diarrhea -- see the Back to Regular Yogurt post). Instead I stick with this one because it seems to do the trick. Last but not least, if you don’t eat yogurt how do you maintain a healthy balance of bacteria in your intestines?



10 comments:

  1. I have Crohn's and eat yogurt everyday, but I make it myself. I add much more good bacteria than you could get in store-bought yogurt and cook it for 24 hours so the lactose is gone. Google how to make SCD homemade yogurt for instructions

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have crohns and the one thing I know is what you can and can eat is an individual thing. I eat dairy daily, my doc is ok with this. Milk helps me when I have stomach viruses, always has. Yogurt is something I started eating yrs before being diagnosed after a school nurse at my son's school suggested it for his frequent belly aches(anxiety was his cause). I get sick of it and give it up for a while and always feel worse. I recently was told to limit fiber and fresh fruits and vegetables. Eat what makes you feel good, don't eat what makes you feel bad, and follow dr. advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had crohns for around 7 months now and i cant not consume any dairy ptoducts without a lactase enzyme pill 30 mins prior to eating them. My doctors ok with this but when first diagnoised and have being in the hospital for 2 weeks i drank 2 gallons of milk a day by myself n he thimks this is the root cause i eat yougurt when i have difficulty making a bowel movent or id its mostly mucus or blood in a stool and it helps every1 is different

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found yogurt to be helpful as well. I have had Crohn's for the better part of a decade. I have had one major surgery and 2 hospitalizations in that time. I have never been restricted. I do know that fatty food, fast food, and things with sharp corners like popcorn and chips give me pain but nothing terrible. The most recent time I was hospitalized I had just gone on a 6 mile hike. I think that if something works for you, keep doing it. I have been told numerous times not to do things....I did it anyway and suffered no consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had fibrostenotic Crohn's for 25 years now and I eat yogurt (activia) every day. I've stayed with it because I notice a difference. I don't think it will change the fact that I may or may not need surgery again sooner or later, but I feel better in the mean time. I also added VSL3 in the last few months and notice a HUGE difference. There are days I don't feel good, mix up a packet and drink it before bed and feel much better in the morning. You just have to figure out what works for you and ignore everyone else. Keep the sense of humor - it is a sanity saver and helps others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband who has had Crohn's for 21 years has a drinkable activia almost everyday with no adverse reactions. I'm sure the probiotics are good. As a wife of a Crohn's sufferer I have learnt that everyone seems to be different on what they can and cannot eat and what seems to be a trigger food for someone seems to not be a trigger food for others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I eat it everyday too. I'm sorry for those people who are angry enough to wish harm come of you. Everyone is different. Every body is different. Not all Crohn 's is the same. People should be ashamed of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yogurt, milk, butter milk are to good for our body. we face many health problems and decease. we can give good fight from healthy food, milk, yogurt etc. Many prohibited things people are also eat, drink etc. its provide many health issues, decease and troubles. heart attack, heart failure, Heart Transplantation lung cancer are the created by or bad life style and eating management.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had Crohn's for 26 years and presently take Humira. I drink lots of milk and eat yogurt. While I don't believe it helps my Crohn's itt doesn't hurt it either and is very healthy. I went off milk products completely for a year when I was breast feeding and my baby had a milk protein intolerance and i I didn't notice any difference with my Crohn's I do believe everyone is different and as my gastro says if it bothers you don't eat it. My gasto also says that the research on VSL shows that is more promising for Ulcerative Colitis than Crohn's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your advise. I think your right. I eat yogurt and it helps with Chrons disease. I'm 65 and have had it since 30 years of age. What you say makes sense to me. Thanks for writing it

    ReplyDelete